Search This Blog

December 25, 2013

Christmas Humor Poem


'Twas the Very Night of Christmas
(Christmas Humor Poem)

Brief Overview
This is a poem I helped write many years ago. It is a humorous look at Christmas.
I know you will get some smiles as you read it.

The story is based in the semiconductor manufacturing environment, particularly at AMD (Advanced Micro Devices) where we both worked. If you know that arena, then it is even more humorous.
 
Yet there are many parts of this poem that you will enjoy regardless.

FYI, I hadn’t thought about this poem in years…many years. Today it came into my head. And as I am now a spiritualist, I believe the Spirit Guides brought this back to my mind for some reason.
 
So here it is: “Twas the Very Night of Christmas”

 
‘Twas the Very Night of Christmas
by Lisa Brask and Mark Fennell

‘Twas the very night of Christmas           
And all the through the bays                    
No machine was running                         
Not even Rene’s                                           

All the programs were checked                
On the coaters with care                            
But we had to work Christmas                  
And it just wasn’t fair                                  

Upper management was home                
All snug in their beds                                 
While visions of dollar signs                     
Danced in their heads                               

But the real workers slaved                       
Like I at my ‘scope                                      
Merry Christmas! Bah Humbug,               
We’d given up hope                                               

Then out in Diffusion                                 
There arose such a clatter                         
I sprang from my Nikon                              
To see what was the matter                      

I made for the door                                        
At my best clean room pace                      
(But at 2 miles per hour                             
One could hardly say “raced”)                  

I pushed the black button                          
And the doors slid apart                             
What I saw out in Etch                               
Well, it just stopped my heart                    

It was not just a smock                               
It was a Santa Claus suit                           
And in it was Harold                                               
He was bringing us loot!!                           

He said that three ghosts
Had dropped by this year
They told him of Christmas
And drank all his beer

The spirit of giving
Was now understood
(To keep beer in the fridge
He had to be good)

Now, I thought he’d lost it
Or was under a spell
But an agenda was typed
And a meeting was held

Where he told us the story
Of how his life had been changed
(But then again Harold
Always seemed kind of strange)

But none of us cared
If his tale seemed tall
Because at the end
He had gifts for us all

As he passed each of them out
He looked over at me
“I wrapped every gift
And the paper is lint free”

As we opened the gifts
We had no words to say
There were even free tickets
To the Byte Stop Cafe

I found myself wondering
If it really was true
Could Harold have changed?
Was he totally new?

But then as he left
He said with a smirk
“This counts as your break
Now get back to work.”

 
----------------------------------------------------------------

Other Notes about this poem
The majority of the story elements and humorous twists are from Lisa.
I assisted with the alliteration and the musical aspects of the poem.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment